Mama

My Mama carried me for nine long months, she had me, she fed me, bathed me, clothed me, kissed me.... and spanked me.

She was the woman who taught me to read. This woman placed cold washcloths on my forehead when I was sick. It was by her I learned how to put make-up on my face. She listened to me practice the piano day after day for 10 years. She watched me cry, she watched me laugh. She knew when to hold my hand and when to let me struggle to trust in the Lord on my own. She challenged me and strengthed me.

In the past few months she helped me pick out my wedding dress, and flowers and favors and colors. She laces up my dress, she carries my veil, she holds my roses.

There is no one like my Mama. I know many say that, but I mean it with all of my heart. She isn't perfect. And we have argued and hurt one another's hearts. But she loves. She has done what many women would never do. She has shown me how a wife should be, how to trust Jesus. She stands by my Dad and trusts him. She gets up every morning and takes care of us.

My family at the time in my bedroom in c. 2001

Traveling with Mom to get Andrew in 2008

I'll never forget sitting across from her in the schoolroom and her high voice asking, "What is 4 x 8?" I would drop my head in my hands, "Umm, 36?" She would breathe deeply, " No, Katy, 32." I'll never forget the way she looks in her thick wintry pajamas as she sits on the couch by the Christmas tree drinking coffee, or the way she laughs when something is so funny that she throws her head back and no sound comes out. I'll never forget how she always loses her sunglasses. I can't forget her face when she's mad or her smile when she's happy. I'll never forget crying when I didn't pass a test and her words of encouragement. I'll always remember her smiles when I exceeded expectations, her standing to clap when I finish performing. I'll never forget her yelling up the stairs to my room telling me to come set the table.

She's been so much apart of my life, I can't imagine it without her. We're so different, because I'm like Daddy, yet we're so alike.

In Times Square in January 2012

Mom by my side at my bridal shower Sunday October 7th 2012
I want to be a wife like my Mama. I want to be a Mom like my Mama. I want to be a follower of Jesus like my Mama. For 18 years she has taught me how to fly. In 30 days, she will finally say, "Fly." I will hold on one last time before I spread my wings and soar. I will never forget. I will always be thankful for the years I had with Pam Brown. I love my Mama.

Mama, thank you. For everything.

Comments

Popular Posts