The Lost Art of Kind Gestures

There was a time when people stopped everything, even when it was completely inconvenient to come to the aid of a friend or an acquaintance or even a stranger. I've noticed since entering the world of adulthood that a lot of that mentality isn't there like I thought it was. Interestingly - though not surprisingly - it seems that the older generation is the most likely to serve and sacrifice even when they know they won't get anything in return.

In churches it's most fascinating. Being completely honest, it's amazing to watch millennials and some of generation X and their (our) lack of passion to be there for others. We are one way on social media... sweet and supportive in comments and statuses, hoping other will think that is how we are in real life. But are we?

My mom and dad tried to not only teach, but demonstrate a lifestyle of serving others. Sometimes I was on board and other times I was annoyed. I did not understand why I had to help mom clean up the house to have over company. I was too immature to realize it was a young couple coming over with their three young children, new to our church, looking for encouragement desperately. Mom was always organizing a children's event at church, or directing a Christmas play, while dad was on the phone with a couple on the brink of divorce, sharing Scripture that would save their marriage. They had us working in the kitchen pouring drinks, making soup, delivering food to the elderly. We made our little allowances and were reminded to to give out of them.

I say this not to brag, because many other families have done the same. It should be normal. Is it? Not really anymore. We say, "We just want to put our family first and if we have time we can give to our church and our community." But one of the greatest ways to love our children is by helping them love others.

And my generation is the worst with the "consumer mentality." We were raised to take the easy road and "find yourself" and do whatever is best for YOU. At the time it sounded like a nice idea, until all the bratty kids grew up. They'll come to every event that's free, but won't lift a finger to volunteer. It's easy to look godly and sacrificial on Facebook and in Instagram pictures, but when it's ugly, dirty work that takes rolling up your sleeves and helping, serving, loving deeply... it's not so glamorous. I remember a time when my favorite way to serve God was being on stage leading worship. I still enjoy it, but right now I get the greatest blessings out of doing the unseen. I never thought I would say that. This is something I'll learn more about throughout my whole life, I'm sure.

I'm no master and who doesn't like attention? We all do to some extent! But let's take a step back and just learn to be generous again. So I encourage you, take the meal, send the note, hug the elderly lady. Do all the stuff no one sees, that you don't get paid for. Great is your reward in heaven, but the feeling of pure joy down here is pretty great too. 

Comments

Popular Posts