How Will They Remember Me?

I was reading my Dad's blog today entitled Signs of The Times. He said, "Tsunami warnings and sirens are blaring in Hawaii as they await the waves of unknown size to strike their coast. The same is true for the west coast of the U.S. Sounds like something out of a movie doesn’t it? But it’s not. It’s really happening. Sometimes we forget that we are living in tumultuous times and in what I believe are the last days. Kind of shakes us out of our lethargy and apathy. What if it all ended today?"

What if it all ended today? Then I started to wonder, have I done enough? Have I worked my whole life (even if it has only been 17 years) with all that I am so that when I die God will say "Well done good and faithul servant"? I then began thinking about how I could excuse with the fact that I'd planned on having longer to witness and such and my life ended too soon. What a pathetic excuse. Why aren't I living like today's my last day? And I'm not talking about going to Disney World or the Bahamas. What if today was the last time you could witness to your family member, or your friend? What if it's my last? Sure, it probably won't be, but what if?

If a Tsunami were to take us out today, would we have lived our lives so strongly for Christ that people left behind could say without doubt, "He/she lived with serving Jesus as his/her main priority"? Even if we can't hop a plan and be a missionary in Uganda, can the people around you see that Jesus is your Lord, by the way you serve where you are?

Dad was reading me an artical the other day that stated that non-Christian American teens (Christians in general for that matter) are most disgusted with Christians because they are hypocrites. They say, "If they [Christians] really believe in their God, then why wouldn't they live like it?" That struke me to the core. My immediate response was one of defense for myself. I began to think about all the mission trips I've been on, how I sing at church, how I say this or that about how I love God, how I, I, I. I just keep saying "I." Where is God in this equation? Can people see Him in me? Not just in those big things but by choosing to smile when I could let loose, or by using money that my nature would like to use on myself toward something greater for God. No wonder unbelievers are confused! If we really BELIEVE that Jesus is what we should live for, then why isn't Jesus what we're living for? If I were to say I'm a Carolina fan and yet I wore Duke blue, talked about Duke constantly, invested money in going to see Duke play, and seemed to care little for Carolina, would you still believe that I LOVE the Tarheels? I doubt it. If we LOVE God, then we should talk about Him constantly, invest money into His purposes, and live with His light shinning through us. Do you like how I compared Carolina and Duke? With Carolina like Christ's puposes and Duke as like.... the devils. He. He. Just had to throw that in.

So if a Tsumani were to take us out, what would those left say about us? What have we lived for? Not what will we live for, but what have we lived for? Even if you are doing well, we can always to better. If I were to suddenly fall over dead right here, I want others to be able to say what a follower of the Most High King I was. That is a life with purpose!  


Don't skip the verses, they are encouraging to a heart like mine.

Hebrews 12:1-3
 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Matthew 7:24
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."

Comments

Popular Posts