In the Sand

I just got back from vacation. It was wonderful and so nice and refreshing to spend time at the ocean and doing nothing, but eat, get battered by waves, laugh, and play Rook. It was glorious. 


The last day we were there I was playing in the sand. I was digging a deep hole because I had nothing better to do. I was digging in the wettest part of the sand. The water was almost up to where I was digging. I just kept digging there. Once the hole was deep, I made a gully that would bring the water to the hole. I packed the sand so that it wouldn't be easily destroyed. It was perfect. Suddenly the water washed over it and some sand broke off and fell into to hole. No big deal, I just pulled the sand out and repaired the damage. But in less than 30 seconds it had happened again and my gully fell in. As I worked to repair it, water destroyed the hole. I kept trying to repair the hole and gully even though the water kept destroyed them. I got up and went to help Clara do something and when I came back the hole and gully were completely gone. I realized that trying to rebuild it there was a waste of time simply because the water would keep ruining it. 


That experience reminded me of life. Sometimes we as people keep trying to build up our lives of our own accord in the wrong place. It is easy to build it where the sand is soft and moldable. When the water took it down, I didn't try to move up the beach away from the water but I kept letting the water knock it down. I was digging in the wrong place, because it was easy. 


Satan often saturates parts of our lives, making it look easy and enjoyable to work there. But when we start working there it keeps being destroyed because we are in "Satan's territory." The water kept destroying everything I did. All I needed to do was move away from the water. The dry sand was harder to use and took more work to build, but it didn't get washed away. 


In life we often wonder why everything is falling apart, why it is so hard to "be good." It is because we are trying to live where Satan has persuaded us that it is best and then he keeps destroying where we are. We just need to move away from him. 

Jesus waits to build our lives the way HE wants. It 
is always best and it is solid there. More solid than sand. As solid as a rock. 


Jesus said, "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock." (Matthew 7:24-25 ESV) 


It's worth letting Jesus build up our lives where He wants them and in His way. It's never too late to let Him have your life. Not just as Savior, but as Lord. He knows the plans He has for us, they are plans that are to prosper us and not to harm us, plans to give us hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11). Hallelujah! 

Comments

Popular Posts