People are People

I look back and think about all the people that have touched my life. There are obvious ones like my parents, siblings, grandparents and close friends. Then there are those further out like teachers, friends and acquaintances. There are those that I never thought would matter.
I've found that the ones who mean the most to me outside of my close family are those that I would never have dreamed I would have anything in common with. It is so easy to adopt the stuck up, selfish and honestly... lazy way of not getting involved in the lives of those that don't seem to have much in common with you. Even in church we usually hang out with those who are like us. Those who are well-dressed and have a nice car sitting out in the parking lot, generally talk to those who are well-dressed and have a nice car sitting in the parking lot. The outcasts stick by their own. The young stay with the young. The old, with the old.

I often wonder what we would do if we saw into the hearts of those around us. Just think. Maybe that lady you passed in the grocery store that you hardly know is in desperate need of someone just asking her if she needs prayer? What if that tough guy is really overcome with grief? What if that old lady sitting on the back pew just wishes someone would give her a hug? Have you thought that the girl who never frowns is afraid deep down?

I'm so thankful for a Mom and Dad who taught me something important. My Dad said, "people are people and that is reason enough to show them love." There is no one not worth trying to fight for. You may wonder how you know when to reach out and how not to be taken advantage of. Well, the Lord often shows you who is honest and who isn't. But honestly, being taken for granted comes with the territory. 

I'll never forget the many times my Dad would take time to talk to the one who seemed to be a waste of time to talk to. He hugged the one who seemed mean and I watched their heart break. He mentored the prodigal and I watched a heart change and a life of love for God explode.  

We as Christians need to realize that it's time to step out. I'm not saying join the "bad", but I am saying get your hands dirty. Take time to talk. Take time to listen. Take time to teach. If followers of Christ would open our eyes and stop looking at our lives and what is comfortable... we could change our homes, our churches, and all around us. We can't just say we love people and yet not involve them in our lives. The best way to reach people for Christ is to move past the surface and dig. Dig by investing in them and showing you care.

My friend Jason Church praying with a guy on the side of the road on the drive to Weslaco, TX with his wife Katie to be missionaries to the people there and across the boarder in Mexico. Talk about showing love! Just get out of your car and do it like Jason!

Jesus has called us to do more than occupy a pew or chair on Sunday. He has called us to burn like fire inside with the desire to LOVE people and guide them... just like He loved worthless old you and worthless old me and showed us the way Home. And what's even better... there are rewards... like relationships that last a lifetime.

Comments

Popular Posts