Purpose

Do you ever just sit back sometimes and ask yourself what you are doing? Do you ask yourself if what you are doing has purpose... any purpose? If you do, I don't think it's a bad thing. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have purpose, hopefully a good purpose. 

Over the past two weeks I have been involved in all sorts of legal stuff to change my name, and dealing with all sorts of people about our house, and buying furniture, etc, etc, etc. Josh and I have worked with a vast assortment of people. I haven't had many opportunities to deal with people at the magnitude I have been lately. 

I hope it doesn't sound mean when I say that I am amazed at the amount of people that seem so purposeless. Not just unhappy, but rolling in their rut. They half-heartedly do their jobs because they don't like it or they are just miserable in general about things, I guess. 

People are wandering in an oblivious fog. At first I just thought they didn't care about their jobs, but then as I started to watch people closer, I realized that it runs much deeper. People don't care much about anything. 

Then I noticed guys pass by the Call of Duty advertisement in Wal-Mart and water at the mouth and girls learn that Taylor Swift came out with a new album and rejoice. The craziest things excite us. I sit back sometimes and try to keep my head from spinning. Do we really live with such little purpose that the lives and creations of other people are almost the only things that excite us anymore?


The craziest part? Christians are really no better. It makes sense why lost people would seem to have little or no purpose, but us? We have no excuse. No matter what you do, you can do it for the Lord. It doesn't take much these days to rise above the average. I don't want to be average. 

At one point in our nation's history it wasn't so uncommon for a 14 year old boy to have done something as impressive as survey half of the state of Virginia. Who would that have been? George Washington. 

We need to decide what we stand for... and stand for it. Josh and I were flipping through radio stations on the way back from our honeymoon. I heard only the chorus to a song I imagine many teenagers in America know. It is called "Some Nights" by Fun. I had never heard it. All I heard were these lyrics before we flipped the station. 

But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure what I stand for oh
What do I stand for? What do I stand for?
Most nights, I don't know anymore...


In my opinion, it describes America. We really don't know what we stand for... other than energy drinks, video games, fads, equality... oh, and comfort. Comfort trumps it all. Hard work is now pushed down. We are told if you have to work hard, then there is an issue. Just stick your hand out. Be happy... comfortable. 

Meanwhile, we slip away. Not just as a nation do we go down the drain, but as churches... dead churches, and as families and individuals. It's starts with the small things... and suddenly we are out at the knees. 

I don't want to do what I do because that is just where life has me. I am where I am because I am meant to be here. Be where God wants you to be. Don't live wondering if you are wasting your life. Live with purpose. It doesn't mean you save the world, it just means that you are where you are meant to be and are joyfully there. Even if we can't be where we want to be, we can still have purpose. You can still enjoy hobbies and fun things in life and know that they don't own you; you don't live for them. 

Don't wake up one day and realize that all you have to show for yourself is a worn video game remote and a faded credit card. Let's wake up and read that worn and faded Bible and drink from the fountain of Truth, because that is where we will find true purpose. 

I love you, my wonderful readers! 

Comments

Popular Posts