You Will Never Be Satisfied


Christmas has come and gone. Like every year it flies by in a flash. I loved going home to my NC mountains with Josh to visit my family. Pulling up into the driveway of my childhood home felt wonderful and yet so strange.

It was a fabulous few days. I spent most of it holding my sweet, 7 year old sister, Clara, in my arms. I have missed her so much. Josh and I woke up Christmas morning, looked over at each other and said, "Merry Christmas, baby!" It was our first Christmas together. Being surrounded by my family and everyone I love was beyond wonderful. I had all I wanted and suddenly it was time to leave.

 

How was your Christmas? Many of us received gifts... probably more than most of the world did. Most of us were surrounded by family. We saw people that we love and hadn't seen in a long time. The excitement, noise, music, wrapping paper, smiles... and then the back of your loved ones cars as they drove away or that dear house as it faded in the distance. I had never really known that feeling until now. 

We think that if we get this or have family nearby we will be satisfied fully. Once Christmas gets here I will have all I want, we may think. Then the gifts get old. The pumpkin pie gets thrown away and everything feels so familiarly normal... maybe dull. 

You will never be satisfied if you try to let the world and it's pleasures fill your heart. Even as Christians we believe the garbage around us. We smiled as we said that Jesus is the reason for the season, but we sometimes lived completely different words. Jesus is the reason for every season. He is the reason for true joy. Don't live chasing dreams that the world says are good because they will let you down. 

Just like those momentary thrills of life won't satisfy you forever, also your mundane days of life in January don't have to depress you. A follower of Jesus has no reason to be overcome with depression. There is always hope. God promises that. 

Live in joy. Be content and satisfied. That is how a missionary being tortured in a foreign country can still smile and sing praises to God. 

We have all we need as long as we have Jesus and He will never leave us. 

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

Makes all of those empty boxes that used to hold those gifts seem to hold a new meaning, doesn't it?


Comments

Popular Posts