The Love of Christmas

It's that time of year!! Fudge, cookies, old Christmas music, lights and decorations, corny and predictable Hallmark movies, red and green, fellowship and merriness. Christmas. I'm completely amazed that it is 5 1/2 short days till Christmas! I really can't believe that it is already here. But I better start believing it because it will be over before I know it.

So, to share Christmas joy with others, on Saturday I went along with some friends from the Monday night Bible Study I go to, to give clothes, food, and the love of Jesus to homeless in Winston Salem. I never fail to be amazed when I'm doing mission work. Over 220 people came and many received coats and clothes to battle the fierce cold. And it was cold bright and early that morning. Two of the men in the group took off their own coats to give to the homeless. I was amazed at the love of the group. Before we knew it the homeless were bringing brand new clothes they'd received from other homeless shelters to give to us as a sort of "trade" for what they took. Many refused to take even when it was obvious they needed it. They would go tell their friends and leave some clothes for others. Needless to say, it was a great blessing to be apart of the that ministry. Mission work is always a great blessing!

Back to Christmas. I still just can't believe it's here... but you already know that. Lately I've been thinking about all the gifts and I've realized that they really don't mean that much to me anymore. Since just coming home from Ethiopia 2 1/2 weeks ago and then serving the homeless, I've just seen how spoiled we really are. It's not bad to give gifts and to have money to buy gifts, but I guess where I get stuck is when we become nearly obsessed with them. We can say that we're not, but compared to the starving and cold world around us.... we are. We get so surrounded by the "American Christmas" that we forget. What do we forget? We forget that the very One who came on that first Christmas came as a sacrifice. He came because He loves us, SO we must love others like that. 

Show extra love to others this week, especially widows and widowers and those who are hurting. We never really know who is hurting so that means, love everyone!!! I'll try to blog again before Christmas but by then you all will be too busy to read this. I want to wish a very Merry Christmas to all! And as Tiny Tim says, "God bless us, every one!!"


Comments

Popular Posts